Arthritis is an ailment that affects your joints. The joints get inflamed or degenerate with time. The degeneration causes pain during the movement of these joints. This illness eventually leads to loss of function, deformity, and joint destruction. It affects the hand and legs, and it ranges in severity. There is a form of arthritis that affects a few people who have a skin condition, it is called psoriasis is called psoriatic arthritis. People with this condition are often affected by morning stiffness. Some mild skin psoriasis can have a significant degree of arthritis.
Modern medicine and Ayurveda have both run extensive research. While modern medicine takes the offence in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis, Ayurveda takes the defence. Studies have shown that Ayurvedic treatment could be extremely helpful in treating the inflammation caused by rheumatoid arthritis.
Modern medicine uses anti-inflammatory as a treatment for arthritis. However, Ayurveda handles it with defence as compared to modern medicine. The defensive method is slower but powerful enough in the long run. Ayurveda treatment for arthritis includes making sure that the three life energies are in complete balance through exercise, herbs, and diet.
Based on the Ayurvedic concepts of treatment the defensive strategy includes:
- Balancing the three energies
- Increasing the digestive and metabolic functions of our body.
- Stopping the inflammation in various levels
- Restoring the intestinal mucus and increasing the levels of absorption of nutrients.
- Maintaining a strict and flavourful diet.
Rheumatoid Arthritis Treatment Diet:
Grains: Your diet should include easy to digest grains like cooked oats, rice, and wheat.
Legumes: Lentils, tofu, and beans.
Lukewarm water: You should skip cold water and go with war, water, or water boiled with ginger root to help with digestion.
Vegetables: Your diet should include green and leafy vegetables. They contain amounts of polyphenols, bioflavonoids, catechins, carotenoids, vitamin C, riboflavin, and vitamin E that help in body healing.
Fruits: You should include locally available fruits and berries as they have antioxidants and possess anti-inflammatory components.
Spices: Ginger, turmeric, and garlic have anti-inflammatory properties that aid with digestion and have anti-inflammatory components that help in the treatment of arthritis.
Buttermilk: Buttermilk also aids with improving your gut health.
An example of a diet chart:
Breakfast: Tea/fruit/porridge/nuts try to include a balanced meal filled with protein
Lunch: Light grains and a sizeable portion of vegetables
Dinner: Spaghetti/ brown rice /gravy/vegetables
Before Bed: Warm milk
Food is an important part of Ayurveda treatment for arthritis, so we should remember to include vegetables and fruits in cooked form. We should include vegetables like squash, sweet potato, cooked apples, and more.
Spices are also an important part of Ayurveda. Treat arthritis by limiting hot spices like pepper, chili powder and including more spices that are warm like cinnamon, nutmeg, and turmeric.
Exercise for the Treatment of Arthritis
Ayurveda treatment of rheumatoid includes exercise with gentle movements like yoga, tai chi, swimming, and walking. Breathing and meditation also have been proven to be beneficial in the long-term treatment of rheumatoid arthritis. Studies showed that yoga for rheumatoid arthritis improved physical pain, overall health, energy level, and mental health of the patient.
Other Ayurvedic Treatments for Arthritis:
- Herbs and supplements
- Oil therapy
- Purification diets and treatments
- Herbal pastes and medicines
- Cold compresses
- Hot treatments like sauna
- Castor oil
- Indian frankincense
- Warm water medicated with Panchkola in small quantities helps with digestion and inflammation
- Aged wine like Arishtams which are infused with herbs taken in the right quantities will help with the treatment.
- Barley, horse gram, Kodo millet, and the red variety of rice is a better recommendation than rice. These foods are light and easy to digest. Barley kernels and other products made from barley lower inflammatory markers.
- Ashwagandha is an organic powder obtained from the plant and is said to have anti-inflammatory characteristics and greatly helps in the ayurvedic treatment of rheumatoid arthritis.
Psoriatic Arthritis Treatment in Ayurveda:
- Oral consumption of medicated ghee
- Dribbling buttermilk on the head
- Applying a medical paste called leypam on the affected areas.
- Performing medicated procedures called enemas.
Disclaimer: This article is only written for informational purposes only. Users must not view the content as medical advice in any way. Users are also required to ’NOT SELF MEDICATE’ and always consult a practicing specialist before taking any medicines or undergoing any treatment. DivyaAyushCare and the author will not be responsible for any act or omission by the User arising from the User’s interpretation of the content.