Leg cramps are a very common ailment that affects a lot of people. It is a condition in which you face a sudden, painful contraction of the leg muscles. The contraction can last for a few minutes up to several hours. The affected muscles shorten and become very tight when it experiences a cramp. Most often, cramps occur more during the night times. Homeopathic remedies for leg cramps offer relief to you when it occurs. Cuprum met, Magnesium Phos, and Rhus Tox are top homeopathic cramp remedies. Usually, muscles are under our voluntary control, and when they involuntarily contract it leads to a spasm. When a spasm goes on for a sustained period, it becomes a cramp.
Causes of Leg Cramps
Leg cramps are usually caused by the overuse of leg muscles, fatigue, dehydration, deficiencies, imbalance, or prolonged sitting or standing. Athletes, elderly people, and pregnant women are more at risk of getting leg cramps. Sometimes cramps can be a symptom of some diseases such as multiple sclerosis, motor neuron cirrhosis, Addison’s disease, hypothyroidism, liver cirrhosis, and artery disease. But in most cases, there are no reasons behind getting a leg cramp.
Homeopathic Cure for Leg Cramps
Homeopathic cramp remedies work in a very effective manner to gently alleviate the problem for the long term. The homeopathic treat the root cause of the leg cramps to ensure that there is complete recovery. Homeopathy treats symptoms as well as improves the overall well-being of a person. It is a holistic means of healing and medicine. A homeopathic practitioner will ask you questions about your pain and diet before prescribing medicine to deal with the cramps. Aside from being a holistic medicine, it also has the least amount of side effects while treating pain-related diseases.
- Cuprum met: It’s used for painful cramps in the leg and feet. It is highly effective in treating violent cramps in the leg, feet, and calf muscles. It is mainly used when the contractions are severe, the feet are icy cold.
- Magnesium Phos: It is used when leg cramps occur due to the exertion of legs/ feet/ calves. This component is highly effective for runner’s cramps or leg cramps in athletes. Acute leg cramps can also be treated well with this remedy. Magnesium Phos is also a good homeopathic remedy for leg cramps found in pregnant women.
- Rhus Tox: Some leg cramps generally get better after walking. Cramps that usually occur after long bouts of sitting or sleeping can be treated with Rhus Tox.
- Calcarea Carb: This one is an effective homeopathic cure for leg cramps that occur at night. These cramps appear in the thigh, soles, calf, or toes.
- Anacardium Orientale: This medicine is used to treat cramps that occur due to walking. This medicine is made from a plant named Malacca Bean. It is very effective for relieving leg cramps caused by walking, rising from a seated position. These types of cramps are usually relieved by resting or lying down.
- Causticum: Some people get leg cramps when waking up in the morning. Those cramps can be treated with Causticum medicine. It treats cramps that occur in the foot or Achilles tendon.
- Sulphur: This medicine is used when cramps occur while stretching the leg. Cramps while dancing, walking, or rising from a seated position with burning in the heels calls for use of this medicine.
- Ferrum met: This medicine is used when cramps are worse at night while at rest. A person who gets easily fatigued while walking and has pain in the toes can use this medicine.
Also Read: The Benefits of Kabasura Kudineer
These are all different medicines used in homeopathy in the treatment of leg cramps. Each one is prescribed after a thorough examination of the symptoms and type of cramps you may have. These medicines cause no side effects and are safe for elderly and pregnant women. But they should always be taken under the guidance of a medical practitioner.[Cautionary note: In all of the above cases please consult a practicing specialist & get checked before taking any medicines.]
Disclaimer: This article is only written for informational purposes only. Users must not view the content as medical advice in any way. Users are also required to ’NOT SELF MEDICATE’ and always consult a practicing specialist before taking any medicines or undergoing any treatment. DivyaAyushCare and the author will not be responsible for any act or omission by the User arising from the User’s interpretation of the content.
Also Read: 9 Benefits of Lassi and Buttermilk